Saturday, April 26, 2008

Football, Lowe's and Gardening


Today was yet another busy day. James worked in the morning and then Reid had his last football practice in the afternoon. Next week Reid will have his first football game against West York. I'm anxious to see how that will go. Imagine a field full of 5 & 6 year olds chasing and tackling each other. Fun, fun, fun! After football we all made our weekly trip to Lowe's. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE Lowe's?! I honestly have a Mary Tyler Moore moment every time I walk through the doors. I just want to twirl around and toss my hat, sunglasses..... whatever into the air. Ahhhh, my Lowes! James and Reid shopped for more lumber, for the fence, while Hayden, Ella and I looked for a few "crush resistant" perennials for my flower bed. I have given up planting a garden full of impatients. I love the way they look, but hate seeing them crushed under kiddie feet and doggie paws. Today I purchased a few Hen & Chicks to fill in the very front of the flower bed. I'm hoping the jagged points will deter the dogs from walking into the bed. I suppose time will tell! We also got a large bag of potting soil for the sandbox. This year we are skipping the sand and instead we're planting pumpkins. Reid and Ella already started their pumpkins on the windowsill. Within the week they should be ready to be placed outside. Hayden started his sunflowers about 2 weeks ago, and he was able to plant them outside today. I hoping all of the heavy rain won't crush them. James and I also finished our seed order today. Usually we make our annual trip to Rohrer's in Smoketown. However, this year I can't justify the journey with the increased gas prices. So, we have opted to have them shipped to us. The S&H is only $4. Much less than the cost of gas! We should have them within a week. James already planted some tomatoes, green peppers, sweet corn and indian corn. This is our first year for indian corn. James put a few seeds in now so we can see how it turns out. If it drys nicely then we will plant more in time for fall decorating and Thanksgiving. Hooray! Our shipment from Rohrer's should include zucchini, green beans, beets, broccoli, basil, mint and cucumber. Yum! We've also considered ordering a packet of popping corn. How fun would that be?! I know the kids would love it! Oh, oh, oh I almost forgot. Lowe's did accept our Home Depot coupon. Pass it along. Lowe's WILL take Home Depot's coupons! Yep, never a reason to go to the big ugly, concrete plastered, yuck hut. Yippee!

No comments: