Friday, December 5, 2008

Wow! What an unbelievably crazy week +. For those who may be wondering, our Thanksgiving went well. James boiled our turkey...yes boiled. My family had our Thanksgiving dinner Saturday after Thanksgiving. So, Thanksgiving day James had the idea to make Turkey Potpie with our 20lb. turkey. James makes fantastic potpie, so I was excited. A day curled up on the couch watching Macy's Parade with the kids and potpie! Yum! However, James quickly found that boiling a turkey IS NOT the same as boiling a normal chicken! Can you believe we don't own a pot large enough to BOIL a TURKEY?! I know! How could I not have a pot large enough to boil a 20lb. bird. I mean doesn't EVERYONE have a bathtub sized soup pot for their stove! James was so taken aback by this fact. He even called my mom to see if she had one...nope! Then he wanted me to call my girlfriend (who happened to be making a full thanksgiving dinner for her extended family) to see if she might have one. There was NO WAY I was calling her! So, James decided to hack the turkey to pieces and shove it in my largest pot. Oh, how I wish I would have taken a picture of my kitchen. Our kitchen table held a large metal bowl containing two large turkey legs. On the stove was my large soup pot with half a turkey protruding from it. Yes, half a turkey! Half the bird was submerged in boiling water and the other half was sticking straight out of the pot. Amazingly it was actually cooking! The bottom half cooked in the boiling water while the top part cooked as a result of the rising steam! I so should have taken pictures! The end result was some very yummy potpie and a salmonella free day! Who could ask for more!



Then the next 4 days looked something like this







then we finished decorating this






and the kids spent a lot of time doing this








Honestly NOT a bad extended holiday weekend. The kids returned to school on Monday and Mama hit the computer. A bunch of GREAT deals and free shipping later, I have 75% of my Christmas shopping finished! Hooray!

3 comments:

Poopsie said...

I can honestly say taht I have never heard of boiling a 20 pound turkey. Though you took no photos, my mind did well with your description, and I am truly laughing out loud. :) By the way, I am shocked to say, I think I might have a pot that would work. YIKES! I may have to see. :)

I love your tree! I just tried to talk Ruth into helping me to make paper chains, and she said "No" and then pointed out all the other things she likes about a tree. Dang, if I want them, I will have to do my own. :( hehehe
Congrats on your shopping! Now the wrapping. Do you put on Chirsmas music and a Santa hat? I must admit to doing that too. :)

Growin' With It said...

i'm just impressed your hubby does the task of cooking the turkey. mine would if i asked but he surely does the cutting. i think i could easily be a vegetarian when i look at naked, uncooked animals. oh this is all grossing me out. i'm off to eat a pbj for lunch now.

Jen said...

Wow, that was a busy week. I love the tree though, beautiful