Tuesday, December 9, 2008

My New Job

I got myself a JOB! I know, who knew! I love being a SAHM, however, now that Ella is getting older I want to be able to be outside the house more. Plus, with freight being slow an extra paycheck would help supplement James' decreasing pay. (Please spend money, my hubby needs freight to haul! I KNOW money? What's that!) Anyhow, I'm not willing to go out and get just any 9-5 job. Being a mom is very important to me. I want to be available for my kids when they need me. Normally I wouldn't think twice about being a working mom; however, with James' job we never know where he'll be or when he'll be around. So, I need a job that will allow the kids to come along. I had worked in childcare for 11 years. This allowed the kids to come along everyday for a reduced rate. Then, after Ella was born I became tired of watching other people care for my children, while I cared for other children! So, for the past 2+ years I've been a happy SAHM. Then this job opportunity came along and I can take all 3 children along! Would you like to see my new office? Wouldya? Well here it is!




















So, whaddya think?! I KNOW crazy right? Well, I still have a ways to go before I'm actually behind the wheel. Today was my first day of 4 days of classes. Then I still need: to apply for my permit, take a general knowledge test, take a passenger test, take an air breaks test and take a bus driving knowledge test. Then, I need a physical, drug test and FBI fingerprinting. I also need 6 hours of driving with a trainer before I can take the driving test and be cleared to drive a bus route. Oh, I also need to wait for my child abuse clearance/ record check to clear. SO......there are still plenty of hurdles to cross, but if I want the job it's mine! And....I do! The pay is decent, the kids can come along and most of the work is only in the AM and afternoon. I would still have the middle of the day for Dr. appts, sick kids or whatever. There are the occasional evening sports trips and daytime field trips, but as long as the kids can come, I'm game! :) Well, call me crazy and wish me luck. Stay tuned for updates too!

9 comments:

The Sullivan Sitcom said...

OMG! You wild women you! How awesome to help out the family and still be with your kids. I can honestly say that you are much braver than I. Just the thought of being on a bus full of kids, gives me goosebumps. Good luck with all the learning/test/etc. I'll be praying for you!

The Mom Jen said...

No joke, i was talking to hubby about this the other day! Keep us posted how everything goes!

kateykates said...

Yea!! That's great! I know what you mean, I hope that you like your new job.

Growin' With It said...

no WAY!! i'm on the hunt for a pt job and recently got declined from hallmark. pitiful. what do ya do when your resume's last job entry was over 10 years ago and they're not interested in whatever volunteer work you've done all those years. pshh.

and on our school district's website is an opening for driving a bus. so i had one of those fleeting thoughts and boy did it fleet away! my boys have a new bus driver and they stomp off the bus each time with disgust in their eyes. she drives too fast. she jerks around. good thing mama didn't decide to pursue that job!

so GREAT for you. and can't wait to hear all the blog material those kiddos give you.

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I hope everything goes well. I never would have thought that bus drivers get to take their kids along with them. That is great!

Poopsie said...

What a great job, if you can handle the chaos and the road. :)

I know what you mean about childcare and watching other people care for your kid while you watch theirs. It is crazy. I was thankful to have Ruth "with me", but still, it kind of stunk.

I wish you the best of luck!

Tiffany said...

Awesome, congratulations!!! I would love to be a bus driver, if it was one of the smaller buses, the big ones scare me to death! LOL
Can't wait to hear about the updates.

Lipstick said...

It think it's really cool. I would be a nervous wreck trying to drive something that looooooong.

SoonerAggieMom said...

Oh my, you are the bravest person I know!