Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My Most Recent Plight


Notice I said "Most recent". I started typing "My Plight". Then I heard my mother's voice saying, in her questioning/condescending tone, "You only have one?" Ok, ok.. so I ALWAYS seem to have a plight, but this one is a pending plight..... with Rutter's Farm Stores. A few weeks ago we received a Zoning Hearing Notice from our township office. Well tomorrow is the hearing and I have myself all worked up! You see our lovely local Rutter's has decided that they would like to change their hours from 6am-12am to 24hours. Why?! We live less than a mile from 3 24 hour Rutter's! Do they really need another 24 hour convenience store in a 1 block radius. Could someone please call the Rutter's family and explain "saturation" and "over-kill"! They, oddly enough, are a commercial property in the midst of a residential area. We purchased our house knowing Rutter's would close at midnight. Honestly, it's nice when they close. The neighborhood gets quiet, traffic becomes basically nonexistent, and things finally get dark. It's great! Now the Rutter's conglomerate is asking for a "Special Exception" that would allow them to shine their insanely bright lights through our windows 24/7/365. Yeah, that's right 365! Seriously people, take a flippin holiday! God forbid a possible one dollar profit is lost! Ahhh! Anyhow I really don't need the extra noise, increased truck traffic, and blinding lights glaring through the windows (think Kramer and the Kenny Rogers Roasters sign). Besides, who honestly visits these stores at 3 am? Ya know I'm gonna be awakened at an ungodly hour by "YO! ANTWAHN! DO YOU NEED SOME CIGS? WHAT! THE GREEN ONES? OH NO SHIT DOG THEM THINGS STINK I GET YOU DA BLUE PACK!
silence... then.. ANTWAHN! YOU GOT ANY MONEY FO ALL DIS?!" Before he even had a chance to respond I know my head will be hanging out the front window telling him to get off his ghetto ass and by his own damn "cigs". Oh! The stress of even thinking about it is driving me nuts! If you are reading this, please take a moment and pray about our meeting tonight. Oh, and if you think I'm being racist by my choice of names I'm not. Just insert any replacement for Antwahn, like Bo, Bubba, Rico.... ya know whatever! Choose any name that would fit the name of the person who would be unable to buy "cigs" for himself at 3am! Ugh! Welcome to my pending plight! Besides, WHO really goes to Rutter's? Anyone who is anyone KNOWS Rutter's tea sucks (Turkey Hill yum!) and Sheetz has cheaper gas and more convenient everything! If Rutter's is looking to increase their profit perhaps they should ditch the 24hour idea and try selling Turkey Hill tea and disguising their building as a Sheetz!

No comments: