Sunday, February 22, 2009

Feeling Yucky and Finding a Cure

I, again, have a cold. I feel miserable. This, for those keeping record, is my second cold in a month. The kids have remained healthy; however I have been battling this cold since Tuesday. Yuck!

Now, on top of the cold, my annual visitor has arrived. That's right my annual cold sore has returned. For those who deal with cold sores....I feel your pain. Truly. My cold sore is no normal cold sore. It appeared 5 years into my 11 year career as a child care worker. At first my doctor, at the time, had no idea what it was. It appeared, grew rapidly, oozed, burned and disappeared. Since I worked with children I was diagnosed with impetigo. Ewww. But, when working with kids, any kind of funk is possible. I was prescribed an antibiotic and eventually it went away. This happened every year for the past 8 years. However, last year a new doctor wised up and essentially had this thought, "It appears every year, it tingles right before appearing, it develops in the same spot each year, it develops rapidly." She then handed me the diagnosis of herpes labialis (aka cold sore) and a prescription for Valtrex. Now I suppose the average person would agree cold sores are NOT fun. However, part of the reason that my cold sore took so long to diagnose is, well, because it is located...on...my.....NOSE! That's right ladies and gents it's hanging off my right nostril as we speak! Thanks to a responsive doctor who accepts Saturday phone calls and a great pharmacy, I'm on medication and it will hopefully shrivel up and die very, very soon! Now, why do I feel the need to tell the world about my nasal dwelling cold sore? Well, because yesterday on my way back from the pharmacy, I was behind a car with a magnetic ribbon supporting a disease I've NEVER heard of. In my crass, sarcastic sense of humor, I began thinking "DOES EVERY STINKING SOMETHING SOMETHING NEED A **BEEPIN** MAGNETIC RIBBON?!" Well, apparently it does, because that darn ribbon gave me this idea:


Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Custom Ribbon Magnet: Nasal Herpes   Find A Cure




Pretty darn fantastic....right?! That's right, pass it around, because together we can end NASAL HERPES! :)

3 comments:

Growin' With It said...

seriously? on your nose? where's the photo??? when my hubby and i were dating i contracted this delightful "fun". yep, got the "herpes" lecture from my doctor (made me feel like a floosy or something just from kissing) and i too have a yearly cold sore that shows it's ugly face. i snarl at my husband each time it visits. so being on the mouth it is awful, i cannot imagine one on my nose. so yes, sista...i FEEL your pain!

Growin' With It said...

hey, how'd you get our faces on your front page all big like that? i don't know if i love it or it scares me to see mine! ☺

thought about you today. went on a field trip and sat in the front seat of the bus. you are DA BOMB sista. that steering wheel is huge and how in the world do you make those wide turns. it made me think of you and surely impressed me at your new job.

kateykates said...

That totally made me laugh! I hate cold sores!