Thursday, January 29, 2009

What Did I Get Myself Into?

Well, that's the question I've been asking myself today. What was I thinking! Bus driving? How crazy am I?! To find out just how crazy the past few days have been, follow along!

Day1
am- rode along with an experienced driver and watched the morning route and stops

pm- drove my first route. Elementary age girl threw-up in the middle of the bus

Day 2
am- drove on snow covered roads

pm- "lost" a child. I pulled up to a large bus stop. After all of the children from the stop had exited, a woman came up to my door and asked about a particular girl. She wasn't on the bus. I CB'ed my boss who contacted the school. The girl was placed on the bus at school. The school's principal sent out an "A.P.B" to all the other buses, in case she has gotten on the wrong bus. I sat and waited as each bus responded that they didn't have her. After 20 minutes of sheer panic, the principal CB'ed back, she has gotten off the bus and walked passed the woman who was to pick her up and went right to her house. The entire panic-filled time, she was safe and sound at home! (Insert cardiac arrest here!)

Day 3
SNOW DAY- No school!

Day 4
am- got my 1 set of rear, double wheels stuck on a patch of ice. Held up a major roadway, in both directions, while I spun myself free. Returned to bus yard where I came 1" from scraping the side of my bus on the lot fence. My boss came out with a huge grin on his face and helped me correct the problem. Ahhhhh! Thank God for gracious and understanding bosses!

pm- high school kid entered bus and then RAN off. Um, hello?! Then after making my last elementary stop, I noticed one of the little girls wandering around looking confused. Her mom came out of their house and I stopped to see if everything was OK. The mom responded, "I'm missing a child. My son?" immediately I hear "MY STOP!" from the back of the bus. The little boy was cuddled down in his seat either reading, sleeping or daydreaming and missed his stop! AHHHHHH!

WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO?

7 comments:

Be Thou Exalted said...

Hopefully things get better! You're a brave one! I can't imagine driving a bus, especially in the snow and ice!

Anonymous said...

Whoa. Looks like you're getting all 31 flavors in one week. I got all nervous and shaky just reading about the lost children, etc....I don't know if my nerves could take it. But YOU hang in there!

Anonymous said...

p.s. My kids ride the bus from school to the after-school program, and I am always so pleased to hear them say the bus driver listens to the Christian radio station; I feel like they're in good hands...this was the same driver who randomly gives them pencils and candies just to be nice. I think it is such a blessing that you can bring your Christian self into contact with so many little souls on a daily basis - I know you will have opportunities to make an impact from that driver's seat (and not just on the nearest fence post).

Growin' With It said...

hope you don't mind my laughin'!!☺ welp, come spring you should have all this behind you and easy roads ahead. literally!

Poopsie said...

You are doing a great job.
I don;'t think folks give bus drivers enough credit. It is hard work, and I know I am thankful for our driver everyday. :)

Oh, By the way, you have a gift at my blog... :)

SoonerAggieMom said...

Oh my, that wore me out just reading about it! It can only get better, right? Hang in there!

Growin' With It said...

ahem...i am thinking this new job of yours is seriously cutting in to your blogging and i think you need to quit! bwhahahah! j/k. but i do miss you around here!☺