Sunday, May 11, 2008

Shopping At Target (With My Boys)

It's 1 am and I'm WIDE awake because my toe hurts! Why might my toe hurt? Because I took my boys shopping at Target. Now for many Mom's with boys I could most likely end the story here. Took boys shopping.... toe hurts... makes perfect sense to me! End of story. But, for those who have those "love to shop" little girls I feel I must share. Today I took my boys shopping. Both of them needed shoes, but seeing as there are only 20 days left in the school year (ie. before we enter full-time flip-flop season) I decided to take them to Target for shoes. We got to the store, found shoes that suited each personality and went directly to the gift wrap. The gift wrap was a needed item for my Mother's Mother's Day gift. Well, apparently Target's shoes were laced with speed, because instead of simply walking to the gift wrap section, the boys: took turns swinging each other around while holding onto one anther's collars, took GIANT slow motion running leaps, and bumped into, or cut off, the cart at least a dozen times. Seriously boys! We just had to walk one section over and to the front of the store. NOT FAR! Well as we were rolling through the gift wrap isle I made a jerking motion to prevent my kids from bumping into a passing cart. That's were the toe comes in. As I lunged at the boys I felt a sharp, stinging pain in my left pinkie toe. I look down to find my toenail hanging on by only a wee tiny sliver. I quickly exit the isle and enter the next one. By now a small puddle of blood has begun to form on my flip-flop and I'm hung over the cart blinking back tears. I am oblivious to anything around me as I wait for the initial pain to subside. Then I hear........"We're getting new paints! Can we get the BIG paper too? Oh, I want more sidewalk chalk! Can I get this too?" We were in the Crayola isle! Can no one notice their woozy pale faced mother bleeding from one of her appendages?! I quickly clean myself up and make my way to the registers while allowing the nail to flap off the side of my toe for fear that removal would require vomiting on Target's floor. We check out and briskly walk to the car. Mama says nothing, apparently the boys KNEW not to say ANYTHING. I turn on the car. God knew it was a bad moment......Bobby McGee was one the radio. (In my little world, many things are made better by listening to Janis Joplin sing Bobby McGee.) We make it into the house, I grab the tweezers, painfully pluck my nail from my toe and reminisce on the lessons I've learned today. 1. Don't take the boys shopping. 2. When your toe nail is ripped from your body, DON'T turn into the Crayola isle! Well that being said....Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: